Minister Mangindaan: Indonesia Can Become An MRO Center

406

 

            Transportation Minister E.E. Mangindaan stated that Indonesia owing to its rapid growing aviation industry in this part of the world, had the potential to become an aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) center.

 

            “This condition (aviation growth) is a potential market for the development of MROs,” quoted Antara of the minister written statement to the news agency May 1.

 

             According to the minister, the national aviation industrial growth was marked by the air passenger increase of around 15 to 20 percent per annum and an increase in the demand for aircraft spare parts.

 

            Therefore the minister pointed out, Indonesia should guarantee high-quality services and its human resources must be highly competent, thus in relatively short period can serve as an important regional MRO center in the Asia-Pacific region.

 

            He remarked, the national MRO currently can only grasped some 30 percent of the domestic aircraft maintenance, the remaining 70 percent by the overseas MROs. “This indicates that in the field of aircraft maintenance, we are yet to become a master in our own country,” the minister asserted.

 

            Angkasa noted referring to the potential the minister mentioned, respectively private owned Lion Air and state-owned Garuda Indonesia plans to make Batam and Bintan Islands in Riau province as a regional aviation epicenter, as a hub as well maintenance facilities. Currently the first two of four MRO giant hangars of Lion Air’s subsidiary Batam Aero Technic already functioning, while Garuda’s GMF in Bintan Island in the process of construction. GMF AeroAsia main center is in Jakarta’s Soekarno-Hatta International Airport.  

 

            The other aspect of the potential according to the Indonesian Aircraft Maintenance Shop Association (IAMSA), is shortage of maintenance experts and technicians. “Technicians and maintenance service experts are still rare professions in Indonesia,” IAMSA President Richard Budihadianto remarked during the Aviation MRO Indonesia 2014 Conference and Exhibition held in Jakarta April 29.

 

            He said, the shortage of technicians and maintenance experts no doubt the key problem faced by country’s aircraft maintenance service sector.  

 

            “The number of technicians and maintenance experts in Indonesia is currently estimated at only three thousand,” said Richard.

 

            He added, in the coming five years the need for such human resources is estimated to reach six thousand with a capacity increase per annum of about 50 to 60 percent.

 

            “Existing institutions in the country are only able to produce 600 technicians at the most,” Richard Budihadianto noted and adding that in order to handle the increasing demand, IAMSA pinpointed that the government and the MRO businesses need to make a breakthrough to meet the required number of technicians and maintenance experts. (ds)

Author: